Ronald Rae visits his earliest sculptures at Rozelle Park Ayr

In this recent film Ronald Rae talks about his granite sculptures sited at Rozelle Park Ayr which portray The Tragic Sacrifice of Christ. The granite for the centre piece, The Deposition, came from Kirkmabreck Quarry in Creetown. This was his first monumental work. The granite for the remaining sculptures came from the Old Harbour wall in Ayr. The project was funded by Kyle and Carrick District Council and unveiled in 1979 by George Younger, then Secretary of State for Scotland.

Rozelle Park is open all year round. It offers beautiful woodland walks, two art galleries with changing exhibitions, a high quality craft shop, a coothie tearoom and of course the sculptures. Well worth a visit.

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

chiara schilska August 30, 2010 at 6:17 pm

wonderful passionate film of your powerful work

thank God that sincerity and vision such as yours is still alive in this ‘world’

an inspiration

Chiara Schilska

Pauline August 31, 2010 at 5:39 am

Thank you Chiara. It was your dear father who was Ronald’s greatest supporter and educator at Edinburgh College of Art all those years ago – someone he will never forget.

Carolyn Horn August 31, 2010 at 11:51 am

It is wonderful to see Ronald Rae with these earliest stones, and to hear the passion in his voice as he talks of the feeling that he put into them. The setting is perfect — and it is so good that he welcomes the lichen, the life that has taken hold on the stone. A kind of resurrection in itself. Also there is a wonderful feeling when looking at such superb granite, which had been taken by Man to do a mundane job, given back to life and spirit. Those stones have so much in them, one could spend a day just walking around them, sitting with them, and touching them.

Shawn Williamson FRSA August 31, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Again magnificent work, I had not seen all Ronald’s early work, I can only say as my sculpture teacher Josefina de Vasconcellos said to me in 1984, “Light a candle so that others can see the light” Ronald has done that in one of the most difficult and darkest passages of time in the history of man. The work speaks through granite to the soul. Or as I remember another famous epitath from the poet Jefferson
“Fighting time with oblivion” that’s Ronald to me.

Pauline September 1, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Dear Shawn, your words give Ronald strength that he needs at this time. God bless you.

Pauline September 1, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Carolyn, I know Ronald has already phoned you to thank you for your kind words of support. It means so much to him. A sculptor is not like an actor – he gets no applause at the end of a day’s work. It is a lonely pursuit – he appreciates your feedback so much. Thank you.

Debra Matthews December 21, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Ronnie – Amazing work. I was just introduced to your site by Liz. Have to say I grew up in England with my parents taking us up to Scotland and around Aryshire for holidays, so the area holds very dear memories for me. I live in the US now but will make a point to visit this park and see your wonderful sculptures in person next time I’m home.

Pauline December 21, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Thank you Debra. So lovely to make contact from someone living in another country. If you are coming back to Ayrshire let us know – we could meet up and Ronald could show you round the sculptures in person.